Honestly, I have heard a lot of the statements, below, more than a few times. For the most part, they’re not said to offend. Nevertheless, they are still a bit patronising, demeaning or downright rude. You wouldn’t ask a doctor if they did medicine for a living, would you?
This is by no means exhaustive but there hereby follows a few things which you really shouldn’t say to an artist:
- You’re an artist? What do you paint?
- Do you do it as a hobby?
- Do you do that for a living?
- Do you not have to be good at art to be an artist?
- Can you paint me a picture to match my curtains?
- Is it finished?
- What is it meant to be?
- I don’t understand that ‘arty farty’ modern stuff.
- I’m sorry, I don’t think that’s proper art.
- Is it supposed to be that colour?
- My grandaughter is really good at art and she’s only 4!
- I wanted to be an artist but my parents made me get a proper job.
- You don’t really need a degree to be an artist, do you?
- What do you call that artist who did the paintings of women/ buildings/ rivers, etc…?